Thursday, October 16, 2008

Theeeeyyy're Heeere...


The title was my attempt to reference a classic '80's horror movie (poltergeist in case you couldn't figure it out), after all it is the month for the greatest holiday of all-HALLOWEEN! But anyhow, They are here! The worms have arrived! Actually they arrived some time last week but I haven't had time to post anything about it. They arrived in two small cotton bags with a bit of peat to keep them safe for the trip. As we opened the bags and cleared away the peat we were amazed, none of us had ever seen so many worms so tightly woven together like that before, thousands of individual creatures forming one tight little ball, needless to say, Casie & Milo were both disgusted and amazed at the same time. The kids couldn't wait to let the wigglers loose in their new custom built worm house.

The worms took a few days but they seem to have adjusted fine to their new home. So far they are doing fine in the garage, not too hot, not too cold, plenty of dark and not much disruption except for the occasional feeding. I must say that we could have started with more than two pounds though, the box is big enough and we definitely produce enough food waste to feed another couple thousand worms. On the other hand, as long as they are happy, they could more than triple their number in just six months. We will likely add some new tenants to the box soon though, we hope to have enough to sell in the spring as well as castings and "worm tea" (delicious!) On top of that, I'm now working on some different kinds of worm boxes for those who might be interested, I'll post some photos as I get some finished, I think the the "Drunken Worm Box" will be popular.

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

I want to know about this custom built worm house! My interest is so peaked! I only have traditional composters and I've been thinking about encorporating worm composting as well.

gedert said...

We are working some standard sizes. We upcycle them from gently used wood from palettes. Once he gets a few more made I wil post pictures and let you know! very soon mama bear!!